Monday, January 3, 2011

First update from Namibia!

The following is a compilation of a few journal entries I made since arriving in Namibia.  At first I did not have any internet access so I just wrote a little on the computer.  Now that I have access to the internet I hope to make more regular updates to the blog, but we'll see.  Anyway, enjoy and talk to you all again soon.

Thursday, December 30, 2010, Windhoek, Namibia

I have arrived in Namibia! After an overnight flight to D.C. through Atlanta, I left the U.S.A. the evening of the 28th. The flight had a short stop in Dakar, Senegal and then made its way to Johannesburg, South Africa where we (WorldTeach group of 12) switched planes for a 2 hour flight to Windhoek. We landed around 9 pm on December 29th, disembarked the plane on the tarmac and walked through a slight drizzle into the airport. After getting my passport stamped, I continued on into the baggage claim area only to find that my bag did not make it. I'm not sure how this happened because we all checked our luggage at the same time, but two other members of the group are also missing baggage. I have been told this happens all the time and that it should arrive today. I hope this is true!


 

I cannot express my excitement and overall good feeling. I felt like I was floating while walking into the airport and finally stepping onto African soil. Even with the bag setback, all is well. The group I'm with is very diverse, easy going, and seemingly great people and the WT staff here seems just as excited as we are. Our accommodations are very nice and, even though I'm up way too early, I got a good nights sleep. After finishing this entry, I hope to doze back off for a couple of hours, but I'm excited to get started with orientation and explore Windhoek.

Here are some first impressions/observations so far. Everyone has been extremely nice. The baggage workers helped me fill out the lost baggage claim, the immigration control thanked us for coming to teach, and the night guest house worker seemed as excited as we were when he was showing us to our rooms. We were told about people being this way but it is refreshing to know it is true and that we are welcome in this country.

Last, with few streetlights and not much light pollution from Windhoek, it was very dark here last night, darker than anywhere else I have been on earth. With the rain I was unable to see many stars, but I'm looking forward to seeing the clear sky, especially in my village in the north.

Internet access seems to be available and I will be posting updates as much as possible. Wish me luck with the bag and check back soon.

Thursday, Continued

Great first day. After breakfast and a bit of introductory information we went into downtown Windhoek to grab any needed supplies. Things are relatively cheap here. I bought an electrical adapter, surge protector, and some toothpaste for about 100N$ or just about $25 USD. We got lunch in the mall, somewhat to my disappointment, because the food was pretty average and generic. We returned after a few hours of shopping and went over some more introductory information on the Field Director's role and our role as teachers. Pretty basic information but good to think about. The major concern seems to be over extending ourselves and they stressed saying “No” so we don't get used or taken advantage of by our colleagues or administration. For dinner we ordered in some Chinese food that was pretty good and then finished the night with relaxation and card games.

Tomorrow things seem to really take a step up in terms of getting more in depth and past the beginning info. I'm excited for another day and look forward to the braai (barbeque) they have planned for new years. Goodnight.

Monday, January 3 Tsumeb, Namibia
It's been a busy few days since I last wrote. The days, although packed with information, have not seemed too long or tiring. I have adapted to the schedule pretty well but have taken an afternoon nap everyday before dinner. Some people might mind feeling tired around 5 but I thoroughly enjoyed this afternoon habit and hope it can continue. I have felt a little under the weather with a stopped up nose and sore throat but that seems to be passing. I have been trying to kick it for a few days drinking tons of water, eating well, and trying to get enough sleep so, hopefully I will be 100% soon.

A typical day so far is breakfast around 8 then starting the training/learning sessions around 8:30. We cover 2-3 topics before lunch around 12 and then come back for another 2-3 before dinner around 6. The evenings have allowed for mostly free time, although a few nights we have done some team-building/get-to-know-you group activities. Although I wouldn't say I have really bonded with anyone yet I have enjoyed getting to know everyone and hanging out. It's truly a great group of individuals and I think we will all stay in touch trough the year and possibly travel together some during our breaks.

So far the sessions have covered culture, where are placements are in relation to the others, culture shock, Namlish, the Namibian school system, TEFL, lesson planning, classroom management, Namibian history, and teaching with games. Today we traveled about 4 hours to the north to Tsumeb to begin our teaching practicum. I thought this was an all day thing but it actually is just two morning classes over the next four days. After the teaching sessions we will continue with other orientation activities including an introduction to the local language in our regions.

The students are on summer break so WorldTeach had advertised these schooling sessions through the local schools before break, in fliers around the town, and even on radio. The students just volunteer to come and will receive some sort of certificate at the end. We have been told that Namibians love certificates and we hope this incentive will bring us lots of students. There is not a specific curriculum we are teaching but we have been paired with another volunteer and will be placed with students close to what we will be teaching. From there we come up with what our class will be about. My partner and I have decided to focus our class on career's because he is teaching life skills and we figured English instruction, what I'm teaching, should be fairly easy to incorporate. For tomorrow we have planned an introduction activity where we will tell our names, where we're from, and what we want to do as a career. The students will write their information down and will then come to the front to present themselves and either act out their career or draw their career on the board. I hope it goes well but have a feeling it will either last too long, not long enough, be boring for the students or fail for any number of other reasons. Either way it will be a great experience and I'm looking forward to finally interacting with students.

One thing I have skipped over is our New Years celebration. Although not too wild, we had a great time as a group at the guest house where we were staying. Moses and Cambel, our Field Director's and Asst. Field Director's husbands, were in charge of the braai. They were so excited to show us a true Namibian barbecue and did an excellent job preparing beef and lamb steaks and some sort of traditional sausage made from the neck meat of cows. It was an amazing meal and, in Namibian style, heavy on the meat. After dinner we played different games and finally around 11 got the party started with a dance party in the court yard. From there, a countdown to 12, champagne, pictures, dancing and finally bed. Overall a great night and a very memorable New Years.

As I wrap this up I want to say thanks for reading and stay in touch. Although it has been great getting to know the staff and other volunteers, nothing reinforces my distance and isolation from my friends and family like having no access to any communication. Since then, I have bought a cell phone and a device to connect to the internet and will be posting my updated contact information here and on Facebook. I will try to check the comments section and my email regularly and will typically be free from 7-10 at night (I am 7 hours ahead of the East Coast and 8 from the Midwest). Phone and internet are pay as you go depending on usage so I will be trying to limit my usage but in Namibia if you call me I am not charged so, once I do post my info, feel free to call if you like. Hope you all had a great New Years, are doing well and stay in touch.

5 comments:

  1. Typical that your mother is your first comment! I loved hearing more detail about what your days have involved. I'm wondering if your bag arrived (I hope so!) and how your first lesson went. That's wild how they come up with volunteer students. I'm pretty sure none of mine would show up for a certificate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bret, it is so great to hear about everything you are doing! And it was great to exchange messages with you today too!! Keep sharing... we love to read it! Love from all of us! Ry and Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bret,
    How exciting this all sounds. This will be such a great year for you - I know! Glad to hear that you are off to such a good start. Your town is so far away from everyone else, though. Hope you can travel and see each other often. Enjoy the locals - I have always found them so eager to get to know people from the West - eager to speak English and to learn - oh so eager to learn. Can't wait to hear more. Take care and enjoy.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to read your first post from out of the states! Please updates us on how your first lesson goes, I'm very excited to hear. You are greatly missed by your friends in Philly, but I'm sure you are having an experience of a lifetime. Looking forward to following along with your venture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds great so far! Can't wait to hear more, talk to you soon.
    Ben

    ReplyDelete