Monday, January 30, 2012

January 2012 Pictures

As promised, here are some pictures!  Again, I am going to attempt to give you an idea of what it looks like here and how the seasons effect peoples lives.  Because most people where I live are subsistence farmers, they are both very dependent on and in tune with the land.  I will try to capture what they are doing throughout the year.  I was a little disappointed to not have more pictures of them working the land.  I was unable to find the a learner's house and land that I was planning on photographing due to the already high water.  I was forced off the road I knew and didn't know where to go.  Very frustrating when I was within a few miles.

School is going well and I will put some pictures up of what is happening there as I get settled in.  It has been difficult to get back into the swing of things and, although I know some of the things I want to do, I have had a little trouble starting and putting a plan in place, but it is coming together.  

Enjoy the pictures and, as always, let me know what you think or would like to know more about.  I am more than happy to try and write about and photograph things you want to know about.  (As the weeks go by you will probably see some of the some familiar photos.  I am taking a few shots from the same place to hopefully capture the changing seasons.)

Also, coming soon... The first 'Meet a Namibian' guest post from a student, Jona Nangolo.  I am really excited to post his story.  It will give some insights into the lives of many of the kids I work with.

*********************************************************************************

The first few pictures are all taken from my backyard before and during the first big storm since I got back.  It rained for 4 days and the waters in the surrounding oshanas (seasonal ponds) are higher at this time than last year.






This is a learner of mine and her sisters.  They are harvesting some grubs from the animal pens to eat for dinner.  The pictures of the fields are their plots.  They are pretty big plots.  Right now each family has plowed and planted.  Each day they spend a lot of time hand weeding sections with a hoe.




Sunset photos from the 28th as I was looking for my learners house.  These were taken a few miles behind where I live near the large oshana.  The light was not very nice to see the landscape in detail, but it is very green here with lots of tall grass.




3 comments:

  1. Questions and Comments from some of my 9th graders:
    The grubs had the most response - Why do they eat them? How do they cook the grubs? Are they good for you? Have you eaten one? What do they taste like? - Vicente
    I would like to see more pictures of what they eat, what the grocery stores are like, and what you eat. - Chris, Kristen & Dan
    What kind of fish are in the ponds, and how do they get there? - Phillip
    The pictures of the sky and sunsets are really cool. - Valerie
    You should take some soccer pictures and also pictures of parties and tell if they are different. - Annie
    I would like to see pictures of the towns and cities. - Jinny
    I would like to see pictures of people working at their jobs. What do they do? I loved all your pictures! - Christian
    From the pictures, it seems like the people are very hardworking. - Nina
    mmcspadden@stmhs.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing photos, Bret. You're off to a great start! I'm working on some ideas about that "children's book" thing you mentioned and I've been asking Mihalyi about any connections she may have in that area. Also, I've got a short brainstorm list of "reflection" type questions/brainstorm that might help you find the perspective lens for viewing this new year for you in Namibia. I'll send it along to your gmail account by sometime next week. Miss you already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bret

    Grandpa, Grandma and I enjoyed your pictures and the comments. I think your goals are practical and within reach, they will also have a long term positive effect on your school. Keep up the good work!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete